Monday, September 12, 2011

Bus Trip from Chennai to Bangalore

Bangalore is not too far from Chennai. A little more than 200 kms and hardly 7 hrs by bus. With most of my friends based out of the city, it was logical I head out there for a 5 day break. I was visiting a friend in Indian Institue of Science (IISc). IISc is one of the premier institutes of higher education in the country, located in the beautiful city of Bangalore, and I was looking forward to my stay in a college campus after almost 6 years.

IISc

Now, I am not much into planning. I had run into issues the last time I attempted the trip. So, after some admonishing from my friend, I went ahead and made advance reservation for the 11:00 pm bus. The bus was starting from CMBT bus station which is located in Koyambedu. Residing in Mahindra World City, I needed atleast 1.5 hrs to reach Koyambedu. Mahindra World City is supposed to be a part of Chennai but is actually 50 kms outside the city.

Time 9:00 pm. I had a good dinner and then went to get a printout of the ticket. Old habits die hard. I had made online reservation but put off on taking a printout of the ticket till the last minute. Anyway, I fired a print and then stood intently staring at the printer, willing it to print ASAP. Couple of minutes passed. I realized something must be wrong. It doesn't take this long to print a ticket. Is that a light blinking? Darn! No paper. I hurried to check the remaining trays. As luck would have it, not only the trays, but even the spare paper stacks stored near the printer were empty.

Time 9:45 pm. I should have started 15 mins back. Nary a worry. I am usually lucky and tend to be bullish about it. I was confident I will be able to make it to the bus station on time. And the PNR number in the SMS sent by the booking service will have to do for a ticket. Making up my mind, I went back to the Guest House, collected my luggage and started off. Almost immediately got an auto-rickshaw, reassured that Lady Luck was with me. The auto let me off at the main gates of Mahindra World City. Long distance buses frequent this route. I was hopeful of flagging one and hitching a ride to the main bus station in Koyambedu.

Buses were frequent. I got that much right. But none seemed to want to stop for me. A few minutes later, it started raining. There I stood by the road side, somewhat drenched, but still in high spirits. Time for another timecheck. It's 10:00 pm. Seems a bit difficult to reach the station on time. Nary a worry. I have the bus contact number. All I need to do is call the number, rant a few excuses and get a seat for the next bus. Darn! Number temporarily disconnected. Tough luck.

All cockiness gone, I reassessed my situation. The last bus for the service I had opted for was at mid-night. So I could still get a bus if I reached the station. I could take a local bus till Tambaram and then catch one of the long distance bus from there to Koyambedu. Reached Tambaram in 15 minutes. After waiting for 10 minutes, caught a bus going to Koyambedu. The conductor assured me we should reach the station in 45 minutes. As it turned out, it was much longer than that. By the time I got off at the main bus station, it was 12:15 am.

I hurried inside, inquiring for the bus terminus to Bangalore. Following directions, I reached a platform. Looking around I felt something amiss. Where are the counters of the bus service providers? Am I at the correct terminal? I turned to the person next to me and made some inquiries. Communication in Chennai is a bit difficult, given that I don't know the local language and many localites speak somewhat less than passable English. Somehow I managed to get a few answers. I gathered there are two bus terminuses - Government and Private. I was at the Government Bus Station. My bus was supposed to be at the Private Bus Station. Now why didn't I know that?

Anyway, started walking in the direction towards which the gentleman pointed his finger, stopping and confirming the route from passerbys on several occasions. Finally reached a place that didn't at all resemble a bus station. But it was! I found someone in my bus provider's counter and dunned him nice and proper. The fact that I didn't have a ticket never even came up, he was totally to be blamed. How dare he not have a valid phone number on the ticket? By the time I was done, the poor guy was really miserable and I started feeling sorry for him. There were no more buses of the service. So he tried with the affiliated service providers for any available seats. Unfortunately, all were booked. So I bid adieu after thanking him and went back to the Government bus station.

To my good fortune, I was just in time to catch a KSRTC AC bus which had a seat available. Completely tired by now, I fell asleep almost as soon as I boarded the bus. I wasn't up till 7:30 am. And we were in Bangalore. I have learnt my lesson - Planned Trips, no more!!

14 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this story! Great photo too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...it was quite an experience. But I finally reached Bangalore :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, you're from India too...


    India to means Aamir Khan and Pranav Mistry..

    I wish I can meet Aamir Khan someday.. ~(a_a~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photograph! I like how you didnt give up and eventualy got there....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nenehfer

    Yes I am from India. Good to know you are familiar with Bollywood and such a big fan of Aamir Khan. He is a remarkable actor. Maybe you will get a chance to meet him someday..

    Pranav Mistry is someone the youth in the country should be looking up to as an icon. He's truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mina

    Thanks for stopping by. Giving up doesn't come easy with most people. And I am no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramakant ...I was waiting for this blog ..but did not expect this story...I think Jugad ...best suits you ..:-):-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading..and could relate to many of such instances i have gone through...Last minute disasters!!!...but do we ever attempt to change :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Loky
    Sandy gave me a better word for that today, good implementation...what say??

    @Viji
    well...guess we just don't want to miss out on the fun..and, of course, the excitement of the last minute adrenaline rush...

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol! loved your style of narration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahaha!! can i blame IST on you then?

    great photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply beautifully captured shot...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Magiceye
    Thanks. That's just the way things happened...

    @Chintan
    Well...the "I" in IST is to be blamed. Thanks for stopping by.

    @Kalyan
    Thank you. I was wishing I had a wide angle to capture the complete building..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes. I finally reached the city I love so much. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all your comments and feedback. Due to increase in spam, comment moderation has been enabled. Any inconvenience is regretted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Creative Commons License
Tryst with the Shutter Bug by Ramakant Pradhan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.