Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Motorcycle Diaries!!


One of my earliest memories is standing up in my Dad's scooter, just in front of the seat, on the way to school. Another memory is of an American television series, Street Hawk, which was aired in Doordarshan during those days. The show was about a cop Jessie Mach and a super bike (a government secret project). The tag line used to be, The Man, The Machine…Street Hawk. I would watch mesmerized as the amazing bike performed incredible feats under the helm of its owner. May be it was those formative years, but I love motorcycles. I have always found long rides helpful in clearing my mind and uplifting my mood. Faster, faster and faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. It has become a lifestyle, a recreation and a way of life.

Even when I was in the States, I opted for a motorcycle. In late fall, sometimes the temperature drops very low. Someone has sagely said, there is cold, and then there is cold on a motorcycle. On a motorcycle, one is acutely aware of the cold. It's like being beaten with cold crowbars while being kicked with cold boots, a bone breaking cold. The wind sucks away all the heat out of the body. Caught in a cold November rain, the drops feel like hundreds of razors cutting my face. I always expect to arrive home with my cheeks and forehead streaked with blood. But that's just an illusion, just the misery of nerves not designed for highway speeds. Still, it's hard to give up my motorcycle in the winter and I will rush to get it on the road again in the spring. Such lapses from sanity are common among motorcyclists. Once you let a motorcycle into your life, you are changed forever.

The Black Beauty

In States, a few people asked me why I ride a motorcycle and others were curious but too shy to ask. I guess if you ask 10 riders why they bike, you will get 10 different answers. You still won't understand why they bike, until you do. So why do I bike? Lets face it, it's a lot more riskier riding a motorcycle. A motorcycle is more exposed to the elements, less protection from flying debris or even worse other riders and drivers. You have to really try to get a car to tip over, scratching the paint and shattering the side mirrors, something that is a constant danger to a motorcycle.

For most of us who ride, we know this is not the case. Whether it be the wind in your face, the sparkle of polished metal or the pull when you open up the throttle, we all get something profound from riding. It is a romantic notion to straddle fire and steel and forge a path across countryside and cityscapes. A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled vehicle, the difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life. Cars are like sealed boxes that transport people from place A to place B, the whole time entombed in stale air, sound insulated, temperature regulated, and smelling of carpets. On a motorcycle, I am alive. The air has substance and weight as I push through it. I can feel the coolness under trees and the warm fingers of sunlight that fall through them. I can see everything up, down and around, a sweeping 360 degrees.

Motorcycles and freedom are synonymous. In films like Easy Rider and The Motorcycle Diaries, they are not just two wheels taking the characters from one place to another, but vehicles propelling them on a journey of self discovery. Another reason which make them an attractive option for travelers. Travel, like riding a motorcycle, takes balance. Balance requires paying attention, seeing the good and the bad. Experiencing both, the beauty and, sometimes, feeling the terror. Keeping balance means not leaning too far one way or the other. Most of all, with both travel or motorcycle riding, to keep your balance, you must keep moving. The ride becomes part of the journey instead of just a way to get to the next place on the map.

The lonely highway

A motorcycle summer is priceless. The motorcycle is transformed into a joy machine, a vehicle that transports you to a world of wonders. It's light and dark and shiny, mesmerizing you with its beauty and grace. Cars lie to us and tell us we are safe, powerful, and in control; the air-conditioning fans murmuring empty assurances. Motorcycles are more honest, and often closer to the bitter truth. They tell us we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride. There’s nothing quite like riding down a deserted road with the wind in your hair. Riding satisfies the three aspects of my life, the spiritual, the mental, and the physical. That is why I bike.

The American journalist and author Hunter Stockton Thompson says it all.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!!"

50 comments:

  1. Nice pics, better writing. Very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. your post is wonderful. Enjoyed it.
    www.rajnishonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you enjoyed the post. Your kind words are very encouraging.

      Delete
  3. Anyone with a passion can never be conventionally sane! You brought out that passion very well in your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. amazing writing once again. one heck of a post.

    just wondering whether you have become a bit irregular with your blog or i missed a few posts here. plz post more often, you are one of my favorite bloggers.

    all the best for the contest.

    p.s. - please don't visit my blogspot blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for considering me among your favourite bloggers. That made my day :)
      Haven't been able to post much owing to a busier schedule at office.

      Delete
  5. Well, riding a bike in winters in US is a brave thing. But for bike lovers, every moment of riding is thrill.

    All the best for the contest...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to ride in winter at the place I was in. Maybe early November, but not after that.

      Thanks for your wishes.

      Delete
  6. Smiles--writen like a true motorcycle rider..great shots of your girl (is motorcycle yours?)

    The issue you raise is right--why do people like riding mcycles when it is riskier and less protective? This is why I think I like it--it does not isolate you from your environment. It integrated you--you are part of everything as you ride and that is a lovely feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels nice to see so many motorcycle lovers here. That's the pic of my motorcycle when I was in the States. Miss it a lot sometimes :(

      Delete
    2. I bet you do miss her--they have some cool machines there, don't they? All the best for the contest--this is a very good entry:)

      Delete
    3. No doubts on that :(

      The options are certainly more in the States as far as motorcycles are concerned. And really kool mean machines at that :)

      Thanks for the good wishes!!

      Delete
  7. Ha! To be young and having a motorcycle, and have roads that wind through the mountains!

    Enjoy you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Nice wide mountain roads, bending and twisting are any motorcyclists dream.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a ride! Really felt engrossed in your post :)
    Street Hawk and Motorcycle Diaries have been my fav too, yet to watch Easy Rider...soon :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Easy Rider's another good movie, though it has a sad ending.

      Delete
  9. beautifuly written. All the best for the contest :)
    - SHANOJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah...makes me want to be a biker..It's feels good to read something that comes straight from the heart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preethi. It's never too late to become a biker :)

      Delete
  11. Amazing photographs and a very interesting tale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Written with candour and passion of a true rider. I could feel that wind slashing my face like razors. I liked your philosophy: unlike the cars, bikes don't lie and "tell us we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride".

    Wish you the best for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Passionately written piece along with amazing pictures to go along! All the best for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'm glad i found your blog. Wonderful pictures and good writing!
    Keep 'dem comin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog!! Hope to see you here more often.

      Delete
  15. After reading this post and seeing the pics now I know what I want and it is not a car :)

    Beautiful bike :) Black Beauty is a good name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. On a motorcycle, I am alive - I feel the same for my bike!!

    Enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the feeling is universal for all bike lovers. Welcome to the blog!!

      Delete
  17. once a biker always a biker. can't wait for my next one ;-) great writing rambo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. Once a bike, always a biker! I am also eagerly waiting to see you on a Harley.

      Delete
  18. Once, I went from Bangalore to Mysore with my 100 cc bike and came back on the same day. Yes, I burnt my back! I wanted to experience the good and bad of the bikers journey too, and I found that 100 cc bikes were not exactly meant for such things! Need to upgrade :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about that. I guess you may have just overdone it a bit. The road in this stretch is awesome. Taking breaks in between, it would have been a fine ride.

      Delete
  19. well said bro! Man, I soooo remember the Street Hawk days... :)

    Great post, Ramakant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Those were the good old days when the only thing to worry used to be completing the homework.

      Delete
  20. I don't know much about bikes, but i like pulsar.. and sitting on fast ride bikes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ruchi. Pulsar bikes are pretty good. And fast :)

      Delete
  21. Words to be read and digested
    Gurgaonflowerplaza.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ramakant,
    Check this out:
    http://rajnishonline.blogspot.in/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all your comments and feedback. Due to increase in spam, comment moderation has been enabled. Any inconvenience is regretted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Creative Commons License
Tryst with the Shutter Bug by Ramakant Pradhan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.